Join our team
Are you looking for a flexible part-time volunteer opportunity, where you will be a valued member of a close knit team?
We are looking for a capable Assistant to Garden and Academy Leads to join us at the Patchworking Garden Project.
The Patchworking Garden Project is a volunteer run charity supporting volunteers with a wide variety of physical and mental health needs through gardening, crafting and friendship. We have a strong identity within the local community and are known for increasing the wellbeing of those we support by valuing everyone’s contribution unreservedly, enhancing self-confidence and encouraging, where appropriate, progression to other activities.
Under the charity we also now run The Patchworking Academy which offers the opportunity to gain an internationally recognised City & Guilds qualification in Practical Horticulture Skills. The Academy seeks to address inclusion via employment-ready qualifications for adults facing challenging circumstances. Under the guidance of experienced and highly qualified therapeutic horticulture tutors, learners work at their own pace with a small group of other interested learners.
The main purpose of creating this new role is to provide administrative and organising support to both the Garden and Academy Leads. We now support over 90 people each week and the tasks of interviewing and reviewing each volunteer is very time consuming and we need some ‘behind the scenes’ help in delivering.
The role is a volunteer one, and entirely flexible in terms of hours although we estimate 3-4 hours a week. Occasional visits to the Garden in Dorking will be necessary. This role offers the chance to be part of a key team central to the day-to-day operation of the charity.
Activities, Duties and Key Tasks
- Manage and maintain the diary for all volunteer interviews and six-monthly reviews
- Make telephone calls to referring agencies, agree appointments for interview etc.
- Manage the charity’s Google Suite account (training provided)
- Arrange some internal meetings
- Support the two Management Committees (Garden and Academy) by undertaking tasks e.g., organising printing
- Some ordering of supplies (mostly office supplies but other ad hoc items needed too)
- Assist the leadership team (Carmel, Chris M and Mo) with any reasonable requests
- Work pro-actively and in collaboration with all volunteers and trustees, undertaking a flexible approach to ensure the Patchworking Garden’s needs are met.
|Proactive and can-do attitude
|Excellent communication skills, empathic telephone manner
|An understanding of boundaries, particularly confidentiality
|Ability to use a computer with some skill
|Methodical, ability to cover the detail
|Firm, ability to be direct
|Flexibility to contribute in a small charity environment
|Desire to progress and improve systems
|Good sense of humour
All our support volunteers are expected to live our values of ‘be kind, be gentle, be non-judgmental and non-intrusive’ and follow our guidelines for maintaining a safe, fun and welcoming space:
- Operate with integrity – be honest, loyal and fair to each other
- Strive to be good at what we do – focussing on our supported volunteers at all times, attending training sessions and aiming for continuous improvement
- Accountability and responsibility – if you say you’ll do something, do it! Take responsibility if it doesn’t go so well and sort it out!
- Communicate gently but clearly – listening, offer support and feedback, build supportive relationships, influencing positively
- Collaborate – be a team worker, muck in and contribute, be flexible and creative
How to apply
Closed for applications on 3 November.